ACCESS Idea Competition
on Employability Promotion at Higher Education Institutions in Africa
- Join: Sign up via register form
- Team: One to three Member per Team
- Language: English
- Timeframe: Registration until 29/10/2020; Kick-off take place 02/11/2020; Submission of ideas until 15/11/2020; Award Ceremony: 27/11/2020
- Restrictions: University staff and specially lecturers from either Benin, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Nigeria or Tunisia
- Benefit: a 3 month scholarship to further develop the idea
- For more information visit our FAQ
- For information regarding the use of Innolytics check our Guidelines
Do not miss our Kick-off event on 02/11/2020 01:00 PM via Zoom!(you recive the Zoom-Link after registering)
Because we believe the expertise lies within the system. University staff and specially lecturers are crucial actors for teaching the next generation of employees and entrepreneurs. However, due to high unemployment rates among graduates and not fulfilled needs by private employers, new concepts in the university curricula are needed to create a prosper future of graduates that impacts the society at such. For this purpose, we believe that you as a lecturer and university staff have capacity and creativity to develop innovative concepts that impact the employability of graduates.
We encourage any lecturer and staff member at the university that is based in the ACCESS focus countries (Benin, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda and Tunisia) to join the ACCESS idea competition. In order to join the competition, we kindly ask you to sign up via Link and register you and your group members. After your registration is accepted you will receive further information on the process.
Provide innovative ideas to the competition’s question: How can employability skills be developed and implemented in future university curriculum? Possibilities to address the topic are diverse and can range from teaching ideas and methods to the integration and establishment of university business linkages. Ideas that are eligible have to address a possible solution to the employability in the boundaries of a university curriculum, integrated or accompanying those.
You can either develop your idea individually or within a group (max 3 persons) from your University. Each group can only submit one idea but several ideas can be developed resulting from several groups at one university. Lecturers and university staff members who are financed by the ACCESS budget are not allowed to take part in the competition.
Thank you for your registration. In the next step you and your team members will be registered on the Innolytics platform by us. On this platform you and your team will develop and upload your idea. During the kick-off event we will introduce the platform to you in detail. However, you can already find some first information about the platform here.
The ACCESS jury consisting of 12 members (two people from each ACCESS group) will select the best ideas from all those submitted. The ideas will be analyzed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Feasibility: The criterion feasibility checks the overall approach of the idea. This entails all criteria below but with a focus on practice orientation and exploitation. E.g. to what extent is the idea feasible to implement? Is the idea realistic in terms of time and other resources?
- Ease of use/ simplicity/adaptability: With this criterion the jury will evaluate how the idea can be transferred to other institutes. What is needed to implement such an idea? Is the idea rather limited to a specific environment or can the idea easily be adapted at and by other universities or institutes?
- Degree of innovation (novelty): Here the jury will make sure that your idea includes an innovative approach to tackle unemployment of graduates. The jury will audit if your idea is a recycled idea or rather novel and unique in its approach. Questions that will be raised are among others: What is the innovation of this idea? What is the novelty of this idea? How does the idea go beyond classical and established approaches?
- Attractiveness (for different actors: students, teachers, companies): Any employability activity is targeted at either one or more groups. However, a connection to all relevant actors like teacher, students and finally employer should become obvious in the idea. For this purpose, the jury will examine how the target group(s) are addressed. How are the target groups involved in the idea? How beneficial is the idea to the relevant actors?
- Costs/Resources: Finally, all ideas need to consider the financial framework. In that regard the jury needs to evaluate what budget is needed to implement your idea. Does the idea depend on external funding? Or is the implementation of the idea self-sustaining? How can the idea be implemented and maintained sustainably?
Please be aware there are several deadlines from registration to the award ceremony that you need to consider.
- Registration: You can register for the idea competition until 29/10/2020, 6pm (CET).
- Kick-off Day: The Kick-off Day will take place on the 02/11/2020 from 1pm - 3pm (CET). After you have been registered you will receive an invite to the kick-off event.
- Submission of Ideas: All ideas need to be submitted until 15/11/2020, 11:59pm (CET). Later submissions cannot be considered into the jury’s decision.
- Award Ceremony: After you have submitted your ideas the ACCESS jury will evaluate the best three ideas. The award ceremony will take place on the 27/11/2020 at 1pm until 3pm (CET).
The main language during the kick-off event and the award ceremony is English. However, as a French-speaking person, you will have the possibility to receive a live translation by an interpreter during the online events. Furthermore, we can provide you support in French for the duration of the competition. However, please submit your idea only in English. For this purpose, we can recommend you to use google translate or deepl.
Leipzig University in Germany together with its African partner universities IRGIB (Benin) KNUST (Ghana), Mount Kenya University (Kenya), INES Ruhengeri (Rwanda), University of Ibadan (Nigeria) and Tunis University (Tunisia) are organizing the competition.
Besides a participation certificate and possible publication of your idea on the upcoming ACCESS Wiki platform, many suggestions for your profession and networking opportunities, the 3 winning teams will get the opportunity to further develop their idea through a 3-month scholarship of 600,00 € per month and per team.
ACCESS is a joint project of Leipzig University, IRGIB (Benin) KNUST (Ghana), Mount Kenya University( Kenya), INES Ruhengeri (Rwanda), University of Ibadan (Nigeria) and University of Tunis (Tunisia). This project seeks to contribute to increasing the employability of students and graduates of African universities by developing new interdisciplinary concepts. ACCESS is a five-year-project funded by the DAAD and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development. For more detailed information about ACCESS please visit our website.